What is Acute Care?
Acute care is a level of health care in which a patient is treated for a brief but severe episode of illness, for conditions that are the result of disease or illness, and during recovery from surgery.
Acute Care Close to Home
At Tomah Health, you’ll find an expert interdisciplinary team providing top-of-the-line care. Our highly skilled staff perform are trained to care for a wide variety of patient conditions.
- Hospitalists – have expertise in caring for complicated hospitalized patients on a 24/7 basis. Meet our team of hospitalists.
- Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses and Certified Nursing Assistants – Provide total cares to meet the individualized complex clinical, spiritual, mental and emotional needs of patients. We have nurses on staff that are certified in Medical-Surgical care, Wound and Ostomy care.
- Certified Dietician – offers individualized nutritional education and support that is important to your preferences and optimizing your health and wellness.
- Care Coordinators – Registered Nurses part of the discharge planning team that work to identify any potential clinical needs. Coordinates ongoing care post hospitalization to ensure a successful transition to outpatient care.
- Patient and Family Services – Highly skilled Social Workers that work closely with patients and families to inform of available resources and ensuring that a patient’s needs can be met after discharge, whether that be at home or another care facility. Assist with coordinating services post discharge.
- Rehab Services – Inpatient Physical Therapist and Occupational Therapist that work directly with the patient and family to mobilize and prevent deconditioning, test balance, flexibility and carrying out daily activities to ensure safety after discharge. Speech Therapy on consult should there be need for evaluation and treatment for swallowing conditions or patients with communication needs.
- Respiratory Therapy – Certified Respiratory Therapists skilled in treatment and education of both acute and chronic respiratory disease or illness. Provide treatments to promote pulmonary hygiene.
Tomah Health’s Acute Care Services provides the latest technology and high level of patient satisfaction. Our team works to meet the needs of the community through a progressive and holistic approach to patient care.
We understand the anxiety that disease, illness and surgery can produce and strive to provide quality, compassionate and informed care. Our state-of-the-art patient care rooms provide a relaxing atmosphere close to home.
- Single patient rooms for Inpatient, Observation, Ambulatory Surgery or Swing Bed Care
- Enhanced room safety features including ceiling lifts
- In room cardiac monitoring system
- Rehab room for Physical Therapy treatment
Swing bed services are a stop between hospital and home, where patients get the continued care they need while recovering from an illness, injury or surgery. Learn about our Swing Bed program.