Surgical expertise close to home
– Karen Smith, Nurse Practitioner
At Tomah Health, you’ll find an expert surgical team providing top-of-the-line care. Our highly skilled surgeons perform a wide range of surgical procedures from orthopedics to cataract surgery. Quality surgical care close to home.
Tomah Health’s Surgical Department provides the latest in surgical techniques with a high level of patient and staff satisfaction. Our surgical team is comprised of some of the area’s leading board-certified surgeons, who work to meet the needs of the community through a progressive and holistic approach to patient care.
We understand the anxiety that surgery can produce and strive to provide quality, compassionate and informed care. Our newly redesigned patient care rooms provide a relaxing atmosphere close to home.
Tomah Health’s surgical specialties include:
- General: High-tech instrumentation and advanced technology is used to perform essential operations/procedures in areas such as Alimentary Tract; Abdomen and its Contents; Skin and Soft Tissue; Pediatric Surgery; Surgical Critical Care; Surgical Oncology; Trauma/Burns and Emergency Surgery and Vascular Surgery.
- Orthopedics: Total hip and knee replacement as well as treatment for sports and stress injuries. Our orthopedic team works closely with our Rehabilitation Department to provide you a stronger and faster recovery.
- Laparoscopy: Also referred to as minimally invasive surgery, laparoscopy surgery is performed by inserting a tiny video camera and thin instruments through a small incision below the navel to see inside of your pelvis or abdomen.
- Arthroscopy: Similar to laparoscopy, arthroscopy allows the surgeon to diagnose and treat joint problems by inserting a fiber-optic video camera and pencil-thin instruments through a small incision.
- Gynecology: Performs hysterectomies and procedures to treat conditions such as infertility.
- Ophthalmology (Cataract Surgery): An outpatient procedure to remove or clean out the eye’s cloudy lens (cataract) caused by aging or injury.
- Urology: Procedures to treat disorders of the genitourinary tract and the adrenal glands.
- Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT): Common surgeries performed include removal of the tonsils (tonsillectomy) and adenoids (adenoidectomy); nose surgery to correct sinus problems, chronic congestion or a deviated septum; and eardrum repair (tympanoplasty), stapedectomy and ear tube placement.
- Vein Care: We are able to treat varicose veins, spider veins, venous discoloration, and lower leg pain. There are multiple procedures that you can choose from including evaluation for compression stockings, prescription leg wraps, and varicose vein surgery.
- Podiatry: Diagnose and treat conditions affecting the full scope of the foot and ankle as well as hammer toes and bunions. Dr. Hordyk with Gundersen Health System is available weekly at Tomah Health. His special interests include care of ankle pain and instability.
- Endoscopy: Using an endoscope, a flexible tube with a light and camera attached to it, your doctor can view pictures of your upper and lower digestive tract on a monitor. These endoscopes can take pictures, help the physician diagnose problems, do biopsies, and even remove certain types of polyps to prevent cancer. These can be done to address problems such as Barrett’s esophagitis, ulcers, colon polyps, celiac disease, inflammatory bowel and standard cancer screenings.
Three endoscopy providers perform the following procedures:
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) – upper endoscopy that examines esophagus, stomach and beginning of small intestine.
- Colonoscopy – lower endoscopy that examines the large intestine (colon)
For more information on inpatient or outpatient surgery, call 608-372-2181.